Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Child, Duck, and Bottle of Seltzer equals Strange Medicine

Who would've known that "timely and judicious" use of this product would "cure", "regulate", and "enable" someone to the brink of good health?! Not only that, it's "elegant" too!

I've long had a passion for Vintage Advertising and Art... it simply fascinates me... I love how folks "talked" back then... they were true Wordsmiths! Enlarge the images to read the interesting and entertaining text in these old ads.

Look at the fine detail the artists used in their illustrations... I find them to be oddly creative and whimsical... What kind of mind dreams up a child riding and medicating a duck while a fish swims below with a bottle sucked to its mouth?! I suppose it's no more odd than much of what is seen in modern advertising.

A simple ad... too bad it doesn't tell us what this amazing crushable pill is for...

Perhaps it was so popular in its time that there was no need to explain what it was used for... but obviously felt a need to inform folks that it could be crushed under their thumbs... no other way mind you, thumbs only!!

This must have been a very popular brand of Seltzer... I'm amused by how they describe, in detail, their packaging... color advertising wasn't an option so they spelled it out for their consumers... how thoughtful.

I like their claim to "not fail to effectively cure" ailments!

And... who knew that...

Just imagine... for only 35 cents and a few sprinkles a day, folks could firmly and comfortably wear their false teeth!

This illustration isn't quite as imaginative as others...

Another Tarrant's Seltzer ad, promoting the "celebrated seltzer spring of Germany" ... They say it's "pleasant to the taste, gentle in its action", and "invaluable for both sexes and all ages" ...

This illustration speaks more directly to the consumer with its "real life" depiction of folks gathering around to purchase the seltzer.

The last Vintage Advertising piece I'm sharing is one of the more strange ones, word-wise, in my opinion... perhaps in its time, though, it wasn't viewed as such...

What is with that?! ... Fleshy People ... Ohhhh my! This ad was supposedly written by a "regular practicing physician", however, nowhere in the ad is this Dr.'s name mentioned... there are plenty of claims made, though... no "bandages or tight lacing" are needed in order to "reduce your flesh"...

whewwww, that's good to know!

I wonder how many people ended up sending off for this amazing treatment?! The weight-loss business has existed longer than I'd imagined... and most likely will exist for some time to come.

I hope that you enjoyed taking a walk back in time to see how things were in the medical world of our ancestors... Let me know if you come across a child riding a duck while pouring magical seltzer in its mouth...

God bless...

Until another time... Pearl

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

FLESHY!? ☺ That's funny!

How ya doing , Pearl? Sorry I haven't been by lately. Micah has been using the computer a lot while he's been sick. He's been watching Meercat Manor on Netflix instant viewing. He's a real nature and science lover.

~ ♥ ♥ ~

KatCollects said...

Hi Pearl,
I can't find your email, can you email me at RKMSFamily@aol.com. Thank you so much.
Kathy

The Other Side of Me said...

Pearl,

These old ads are fantastic. They are very funny to read. Thanks for sharing.
Tammy

Michelle said...

Pearl, these are great. I never really read the ads before on these vintage labels. Kinda strange and that duck one is just odd. And the fleshy people....what a description!!

luvmy4sons said...

Where do you find this stuff? Pearls...you're giving us pearls...(from the movie Scent of a Woman) and pun intended. LOL! These ads are great!

Shauna said...

I'm new here! What a great blog :)

Twyla and Lindsey said...

My favorite is the weightloss add. I love the 'delicate' words they used. Flesh and stout, they were so proper. I was surprised too, that there have been this kind of ad around longer than I thought. Hope you have a blessed day! Twyla

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Pearl, I may have been tempted to try the remedy for Fleshy people...to not become stout again! LOLOL! That was too funny! I love old ads too! I have an OLD Harper's Bazaar and the things in there are a hoot. Vintage etiquette books are amusing, too! Kevin's grandaddy used to claim that if you kept your bowels clean, you could live forever! LOL! I thought about that when I read the first ad. I really enjoyed this post!

Your blog is really pretty and tranquil, with the background and banner!

Thanks for your encouragement! You always brighten my day! I came across a verse last night and thought of you, Psalm 73:26. Let me know what you think! :) Love ya, Rhonda

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

Good Morning Pearl!
Oh these old ads are so fun to see....It's fun to see how things were worded back in the day...Hope you have a beautiful day....
Oh one more thing...I hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day...the vintage cards are beauiful that you posted!
big hug,
Queenie~

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Pearl,
If only it was that easy to lose the weight..
those old ads are a hoot. I do love the artwork on them...not so much today's!!
Take care!!
Love,
Deb

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hi pearl,This was just wonderful.I also love looking at old ads.I really enjoyed this.Would you please email me? Hugs Marie Antionette