Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bittersweet Memories of True Love...

January and February are difficult months for a sentimental old soul like myself... they are the months that my beloved Parents went home to the Lord. Daddy passed away first, Feb. 22, 1997... Mom followed on Jan. 6, 2004. They were the most amazing people I'd ever known... and I'm forever thankful that God allowed me to be one of their daughters. I miss them, terribly.

They were married in 1948... The photo above is them in their first year as Husband and Wife... they almost reached their Golden Anniversary... My Parents were a fine example to my sister, brother, and myself... I loved to see them hug and kiss each other... I loved the sweet sound of their laughter... They were always there for us with so much love and support... They gave me a perfect childhood with the most incredibly awesome memories to treasure...

The best gift that they ever gave to me was the deep love that they had for each other... It simply was amazing to witness, and I'm forever better because of that...

At both of their funeral services, I did a reading... it was not easy for me to do... but it was something I wanted to do, I needed to do it... At my Father's service, I selected a passage from The Velveteen Rabbit, a book that they'd read to me many times... there is one passage that reminds me of them, and especially of Daddy... because I would often run my hands over the top of his head, to feel the tickle of his crew-cut that he wore after us kids were born... but truly this passage speaks to me of true love, and that is what I remember most about my Parents...

The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath, and most of the hairs in his tail had been pulled out to string bead necklaces. He was wise, for he had seen a long succession of mechanical toys arrive to boast and swagger, and by-and-by break their mainsprings and pass away, and he knew that they were only toys, and would never turn into anything else. For nursery magic is very strange and wonderful, and only those playthings that are old and wise and experienced like the Skin Horse understand all about it.

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made,"
said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,"
he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once,"
said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

And so it was with my Father and me... "by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off" ... How could I have not stood and repeated those sweet words to him?
The cancer had moved swiftly throughout his body, and near the end it took over his brain... the very last time that I spoke with my Father, where he actually knew it was me, was on Valentine's Day... Indeed, these have been bittersweet days for me...

God bless...

Until another time... Pearl

Well done, good and faithful servant!
Matthew 25:21

For those of you who may desire, you can read the entire story of The Velveteen Rabbit online, here... It's a beautiful book with a precious message...

13 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Pearl, you brought tears to my eyes. Such a touching story. Your parents sounds like such wonderful, loving people. You are a lucky woman, indeed, to have been raised by this couple. Twyla

Molly's Art Designs said...

Dear Pearl,

I love your blog and the sweet story about your parents. My mother passed away 11/19/08, and my father 12/29/08. The description of the love your parents share reminds me of my parents. My parents were married for 54 years! Bless you-
Molly

Unknown said...

beautiful and touching....thanks for sharing...Melinda

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Pearl,
What a nice post for your parents. I have never read or had the Velveteen Rabbit read to me. I really enjoyed reading the little bits that you shared that bring back such sweet memories of your father. I'm sorry January and February are difficult for you, but really understand. June's my hard month, but I am so blessed to have had special people in my life that have made me smile and laugh so hard my sides ached. You're in my thoughts.
xo~Tracie

Anonymous said...

Very bittersweet Pearl....life is sometimes so painful but yet sometimes so joyful. I love that you had a wonderful relationship with your parents and the memories shall stay with you forever.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Anonymous said...

~ HUG ~ HUG ~ ♥

Anonymous said...

Dear Pearl, thank you for stopping by my new blog, yes, I am loving it! LeAnn is such a blessing to me and I am so glad she is my SIL, we have a lot of fun together and get into a whole lot of trouble...

I love your blog...thank you for sharing....

Blessings, Leslie :))

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Paula,
That is bittersweet and has tears in my eyes. How wonderful to have those memories of your Dad!!!Not all of us had Dads like that...
Thank you for your prayers..
Love,
deb

luvmy4sons said...

Whata beautiful tribute to your parents. What a lovely and wonderful heritage you have. Thanks for sharing your heart with us. I am blessed by it today.

Tiffany said...

Oh my, I'm glad I'm typing, because I have the biggest lump in my throat right now. I knew we were kindred spirits. I miss my mom and dad so much too. I lost them with in two years of each other. He on November 25th and her on January 31st. My birthday is February 2nd, and my son was born 2 weeks after her death on February 16th. So I understand, completely. The holidays were bitter sweet for a couple of years. And then when I lost momma, January and February were the same. I just got through the 3rd anniversary. But, I know it will get easier as the years go on. They were so dear to me, and the memories are sweet, but yes, bitter sweet. I pray the Lord will wrap you in the softest of angel wings and carry you through this difficult time.

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

Hi Pearl,
Thank you for coming over to my blog and visiting...I appreciate all of your kind words and it is so wonderful to meet you.
Your blog is beautiful.
The sweet memories of your mama and daddy have touched my heart...this is the sweetest post, it brought tears to my eyes...I have always heard of the Velveteen Rabbit but I never have read it...thank you for sharing your memeories...God Bless you at this time of the year and always.
As I scrolled your page I noticed your crochet slippers...they are so pretty....they look comfy too...Twyla and Lindsey are amazing to crochet like they do...along with all of their other pretty crafts. Gifted ladies for sure, and so sweet too.
I was reading your tag and what fun....I love the smell of lily of the valley too. Hope you have a beautiful weekend... I will be back soon to visit with you again. It's been a pleasure....
Queenie~

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Pearl,this is an amazing post,so beautiful how you honor your parents.They truly were a great love.And had to be great parents to have raised a wonderful daughter.I love their picture togehther.What a handsome pair.
I love your banner BTW.
Also I wanted to let you know I post your very long,long tag.What a task you set before me missy.LOL,but I really did enjoy doing it and loved even more joking about it.Hugs Marie Antionette

Kathi said...

Oh Pearl, what a sweet post. What a beautiful tribute to your parents. I'm so sorry for your loss. I will still visit you, Pearl, as I am able. I am going to stop blogging, not all together, but slow down a great deal. I will still visit you, Michelle, and Deanna, and of course my sister Sharon. Bless you sweetie. Kathi